Mei-Ling at the pre-game warmup

Mei-Ling Lam, a Maine native, is the June 2011 Playboy Playmate of the Month. Growing up in Maine, she became a huge Celtics fan, basically following the team from birth.

For her Playboy spread, she stuck to her roots, emphasizing her love for the Celtics.

Mei-Ling was kind enough to talk to CelticsGab a little bit about her favorite team.

We ended up discussing what it was like to turn down Rajon Rondo, the Celtics season and how much NBA refs suck.

Here are some excerpts from the conversation:

When did you become a Celtics fan?

My first game was when I was two years old. I have an older brother and he is also a Celtics fan, so I was a Celtics fan since I was born.

Who’s your favorite Celtic of all time?

My favorite Celtics player of all time… I don’t really have a favorite, I started following them more when I could understand the game more in depth. But right now my favorite Celtics player is Rondo.

I actually just met him a couple weeks ago when I was in Boston. I was out, I was being brought around to look at different venues and what not, and he was there, and he knew the guy that was showing us around. I guess he was friends with him.

Anyhow, he was super nice, he had asked me for my phone number the third time talking to him, and I politely said I don’t give my phone number out.

You said no to Rondo?!

I know! It’s so funny cause after, the next day, they had their game against Miami, but my friends came over and said, you completely gipped Rondo. It was kind of a joke.

That might be the way to go with those guys though right? People probably don’t say no to them very often.

Yeah. I dunno. The reality is what are they like in person, on a daily basis. But I dunno, it doesn’t matter who the guy is, I’m not the type to just give my number out the first time anyhow.

What was he like? Was he talkative?

He was talkative! It’s a little bit of a funny story. He asked the guy I was with to be introduced, so I went over and introduced myself–he still didn’t know I was affiliated with Playboy–so as I kind of leaned in to hear him talking–cause you know how it’s so loud–a girl to the right of me kind of lipped how I needed to stop talking to him. We exchanged some choice words. So then I kind of just decided that was enough talking, and said it was so nice to meet you.

He invited me back up later and apologized and said don’t worry about it. Then he invited me back up again and that’s when he asked me for my number and what I was doing after. He was super nice though. Very much a gentleman, he was really nice.

The thing is, I don’t really get star struck because everyone started off somewhere. But since, I’ve always been such a huge fan of the Celtics I was a little bit like “Woah, this is Rondo.”

But what I think is so great about it is he didn’t even know I was associated with Playboy.

What’d you think of this season?

I’m still a little bitter about it. One of the games, when we went into overtime, when Pierce did a high pick and roll at the end of the game if they had executed, I think that series against the Heat would have turned out different.

But, Miami was definitely more athletic. I hate to say it but they were kind of crushing us a little bit. They were just more aggressive. We were getting beat up.

Yeah, at times I felt like the refs were letting the Heat get away with some cheap fouls.

The calls were ridiculous, especially when Pierce got thrown out, it was just call after call against us.

-The refs are always bad though.

Especially in the playoffs.

-Yeah game 7 against the Lakers last year…

I don’t even want to talk about that. There were like twenty offensive fouls in the last 7 minutes. My brother and I were screaming at the TV . We don’t cuss, but we were cussing the TV out. It was horrible. In times like that it makes me wonder if the NBA is fixed.

But, I think overall we had a great season. Overall it was pretty good, I wish we would have gone further.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Celtics Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

17 Responses to “Mei-Ling Lam, Playboy’s June 2011 Playmate of the Month, discusses the Celtics and turning down Rondo”

1. […] Celtics Offseason: If They Give it One More Shot…Three’s CompanyCeltics Gab  Mei-Ling Lam, Playboy’s  Playmate of the Month, discusses the Celtics and turning down Ro…Sports of Boston   2011 NBA Playoffs Expert Picks: NBA Finals Yahoo  Are Kevin […]

2. belinda mays says:

This chick is really full of herself to put rondo on blast like this. Im sure as pretty as she is guys hit on her all the time, but speaking from a woman’s point of view, rondo either dissed her, or got the draws and didnt call her back, to my understanding rondo is engaged so to me she put this out there for a reason. im sure rondo gets it thrown at him all the time, and there is a plenty he has had to turn down as well!

3. belinda mays says:

how do you call yourself a celtic fan then put our p.g. on blast!

4. Paul says:

Lol, yeah, because despite the fact that he’s rich and famous; he still has a big head and looks like Alien part 2.

5. Stefan says:

“I’m not the type to just give my number out the first time” uhh I think thats bullshit #1, think about what your saying…so you meet someone that you haven’t talked before and you like them and dont give your number…how else are you going to see the person again unless you go through the same fucking route every time?She prolly think that it makes her look like a whore if she did, this chick is stupid period.

6. meg says:

this article is ridiculous. why would anyone care about what she thinks about rondo? waste of my time.

7. Faye says:

I’m a little surprised that she’s airing all of this. However, I’m even more surprised about the fact that he would even ask her for her number or to hang out after (If what she’s claiming is true). I thought he has a baby and is with the mother. I just hope this is a misunderstanding cuz homeboy will Definitely get in trouble for this. Hehe

8. Wes says:

You folks just don’t get it. Rondo is a facilitator, an assist guy. He just wanted her number so he could toss her to KG for a slam.

9. anon says:

WOW. You pose naked for a magazine that people YOU DON’T KNOW read. And then you feel like you should act all difficult by not giving your phone number to a CELEBRITY. Stupid hoe

10. Vic says:

Let me get this straight. Rondo is her favorite player, but she does not just give her number out the 1st time she is asked out by him, but she is ok posing nude in a magazine that anyone can look at. Huh????? That makes no sense what so ever. I could see not giving her number out the 1st time she meets any joe blow off the street, but a high profile pro basketball player like Rondo? Something isnt right about her story.

11. wayne7779311 says:

Her story is “so” full of crap that it stinks to the high heavens. What the hell does she sound like talking about not giving out her number to someone so easy…while clearly she has “NO PROBLEM” throwing her totally naked ass all over somebody’s whack-off magazine with no reservation at all. Can she be that ditzy? And then to go out and blast to everyone what should have been a private interaction between she and Rondo (two presumed adults), not only makes her look totally cheap & venal but also a betrayer of the guy which she says was a total gentleman, and the team’s (who she claims to love)brightest star.
    If indeed she said “no” to him then that in itself should have just been the end of it…if she actually had a single ounce of class. What benefit does it bring to go out and tell the whole world about it except to stroke her own ostensibly shallow ego; or maybe to hope that by saying this it will “up” her market value to be able to say that I’m that starlett who turned down Rondo so now I’ve really arrived as a very sought-out “wanna-be” (which is the only reason why she even made it onto this worthless article) and garner herself a little societal cred.
    Rondo, do yourself a favor, and stay as far away as possible from dizzy, self-absorbed, and self-promoting desperate chicks like this. Her saying “no” would have to rate as one of the best things that has ever happened for you. And one can only thank the Good Lord up above when someone like this does not become the disease in your bones which she would have become if she had said “yes”.

• belinda mays says:

I agree with you 100%, how can you pose for playboy, and still have such high morales about giving out your phone number, hell, im 41 years old and if rondo ask me for my telephone number i would give it to him. If she was a fan of him like she say she is, i would not have even mention this, and i would have given him my number and just not answered when he called, she just needed this publicity, because before now i had never even heard of her, so this is what she really wanted to diss one of the nba’s best players so when her picture come out in playboy it would boost the sales of her issue, “NOW I GET IT”!

12. John says:

I thought Rondo was married.

13. pierre says:

So she’s been a Celtics fan since age 2 & her favorite player is Rondo so then when the dream connection is made, meaning that you the fan gets to meet your favorite athelete outside of the arena or racetrack what have you. Not only that, but lets say my favorite LPGA golfer is Michelle Wie and I get an opp to meet her & spend time with her. Even if I were a millionare, I would not turn that down. I think what really happened is that she found out where the man would be and got access to his location, then paraded herself around in his line of sight to be noticed. Rondo is a red blooded American man so i’m sure he did ask for an intro at which time some other girl, like she said, told her to pretty much step off or get her azz kicked. So then he invites her up and apologises & nothing happens. What was the reason for the return trip just to ask for the number, it’s crap. Rondo’s really lucky this chick didn’t try to pull the goldigger rape crap on him like whats happened to alot of other pro sports figures.

14. pierre says:

Oh, & also, why’s she wearing Garnetts number if Rondo’s her favorite player?

15. Momo says:

I think y’all are overreacting. We don’t know what her intentions are, though they seem shady, but people are allowed to not give out their number. Besides I doubt Rondo is losing sleep over this.

16. belinda mays says:

so she says some girl to the right of her mouth the words, you better stop talking to him, it sounds like she is really trying to get back at the girl who said this to her, she say they exchanged choice words, so this had to have been ashley, “way to go ash, way to protect the house”! DONT EVER LET ANYBODY DISRESPECT YOU, and if rondo gets out of line, you put him in his place to!